Grainless Granola (High Octane)
Recently, I’ve tried to shift the percentages of fat/protein/carbs I consume day-to-day so that my fat intake is about 60% of total calories. Conventional granola really doesn’t fit into a plan like this, but it is something I really enjoy eating. With this recipe I am going for something that is high in fats from nuts and seeds, that has zero vegetable oils, and that would not simultaneously cause my blood sugar to spike. Of course, there isn’t anything like this in the grocery store, so experimental recipes have ensued in my kitchen. This is where the recipe has evolved.
2 cookie sheets with raised edges
Mixing bowls and utensils
Food processor or coffee grinder
1 C Sunflower seeds
1 C Pumpkin seeds
1 C Almonds, sliced
2 C Coconut, flaked and unsweetened
2 Tbsp Cinnamon, ground
1/2 tsp Salt
2 C Almonds, whole, raw – ground fine
3 Tbsp Coconut oil, softened
2 Tbsp Molasses
2 Tbsp Vanilla extract
3 Egg whites
- Preheat over to 280ºf.
- In a large bowl combine the first 6 ingredients.
- Grind the 2 cups of raw, whole almonds in a food processor or coffee grinder and add to the dry ingredients in the large bowl.
- In a small, heat-resistant container soften coconut oil, then mix in molasses and vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients and combine well. The ingredients should begin to clump together.
- Whisk the whites together with a fork in a small container.
- Pour over the combined ingredients in the large bowl and mix well. The resulting mixture should still clump together, which will create a desirable granola texture when dried in the oven.
- Spread mixture on two cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Dry in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove sheets from the oven after the first 15 minutes to stir mixture around so it dries evenly. Return to the oven for the last 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. The mixture may still feel damp but it will dry further as it cools. Let it cool until it is dry to the touch.
- Store in an airtight container.
Yield ~ 16 Servings
1 serving = ⅓ C